Finally, it looks like it’s time to bring that mower out of hibernation for Spring and Summer. Given the weather we’ve had lately, it’s been touch and go. However, now that it seems that snow is on hold until Winter, it’s time to prep your mower for its upcoming busy season.
Prepping your mower appropriately can help you avoid costly maintenance or even replacement later. So, empty out the grass collection bag if you forgot last year and grab that owner’s manual, it’s time to evaluate your mower for optimum performance.
- Disconnect the spark plug boot before performing any kind of maintenance work. If you see signs or corrosion or dirt, clean the spark plug with a wire brush. If it doesn’t start, then once your maintenance is complete, install a new spark plug.
- Consider having the blades sharpened or replaced. If they need replacement, make sure you do so with a blade that is designed for the make and model of your mower. While the blade is off, it is a good time to clean the underside of the mower – use a putty knife to remove any caked-on grass.
- Just like cars, to keep the engine protected you should change the oil. This should be done at least once a year or after 50 times of use. Look at your owner’s manual to make sure you get the right type of oil.
- Install a new fuel filter if needed and add fresh fuel. Be sure to empty any residual fuel from last year before adding new.
- Ensure theair filter is clean. Paper air filters need to be replaced. Gently scrub foam air filters with hot water and detergent and be sure to allow the filter to dry completely before reinstalling it. Lawn mower air filters should be replaced once a season.
- You also have the option to purchase an engine tune-up kit. It’s the most efficient way to tune up the engine of your mower. Most kits include an air filter, spark plug, fuel filter and oil.
Even if you winterized your lawn mower last fall, it is still a good idea to give it a tune up. Your lawn mower will be your work horse for the coming seasons and it is important to keep it in tip-top shape for optimal performance!
If you have decided it is time to retire the mower and let the professionals take over, give us a call! Sunrise Landscape and Design lawn mowing technicians operate state of the art equipment and expertly cut and trim the grass. Our lawn mowing approach takes into account all variables such as grass variety, mowing patterns, weed issues, and the ideal cut height. Contact us for a quote on your lawn mowing service – we’d love to take care of your lawn!
Sunrise Landscape and Design is Northern Virginia’s premier landscape company offering a full range of landscape services. Our landscape and design services include hardscapes, water features, irrigation and landscape lighting. Our landscape maintenance services will keep your landscape vibrant and healthy year round with lawn mowing, mulching, edging, garden cleanups, tree pruning and mosquito/deer control. Contact us today for all your landscape and lawn care needs!