Whether you are selling your home or just want to have the most attractive landscape in the neighborhood, creating curb appeal can transform your yard into a beautiful, attractive space. The most successful landscapes have a well thought out and planned approach to curb appeal. It can simply be adding color with flower pots and seasonal plantings, or adding character and dimension with walkways and water features. How simple or complex your curb appeal should be, is up to you. Either way, a landscaping plan is the most effective way to bring your ideas to life. When putting together a landscaping plan, consider the following:
- Hardscape – Curb appeal is ultimately about moving the eye from the street to the front of the house. An attractive walkway with curves and flower bed accents is a great way to make this a pleasant transition. Adding a bench creates a separate focal place and provides a spot for additional plantings.
- Lighting – Simple outdoor lighting can bring your home to life at night. Use accent lights to highlight architectural or landscaping details.Seasons – When designing for curb appeal, make sure it will look inviting through all seasons. As spring flowers begin to die down and lose their appeal, shrubs and trees can take over as the dominant features.
- Maintenance – All good landscaping plans should incorporate maintenance. Spring and fall clean-ups, pruning, lawn care, weeding, edging and mulching are all important tasks in maximizing curb appeal.
- Color – Adding color to your landscape can be accomplished in many ways. Try adding one or two large, uniquely shaped pots and fill with colorful plantings. Add a splash of color by painting the door or a bench. Be sure to integrate color into your landscaping plan so that you have a cohesive look. Learn more about using a color wheel to plan your garden.
If you are having trouble envisioning your plan for curb appeal or the task of implementing your plan is daunting, contact a landscaping professional. At Sunrise Landscape and Design, we will work with you to create a plan tailored to your unique needs and incorporate your vision. While there are many benefits of hiring a professional landscaper, here are a couple to think about:
- Vision – Professional landscape companies come with years of experience and a portfolio of full of ideas and vision. They can help you articulate what you want when it comes to your vision and create a plan that fits within your budget and lifestyle.
- Experience – Choosing the right plants for your landscape can be overwhelming. A professional landscaper is familiar with the plentitude of annuals, perennials, shrubbery that are appropriate for your landscape. They understand size, color, flowering patterns, water usage and maintenance requirements. If your plan includes landscape lighting, a landscape professional can offer guidance on types of lighting, for example, accent and pathway lighting, fixtures, spacing and take care of the electrical requirements and wiring.
- Time and Budget – Your time and money are valuable. Hiring a professional to take care of the details and manage the landscaping plan within your budget will save you many hours and avoid the common “do it yourself” landscaping pitfall of overspending.
We all know that old saying “you never get a second chance to make a first impression” and when it comes to your home’s curb appeal this old adage rings true. Your home’s exterior shows your pride in ownership not just for the house but the landscape too, and of course, it’s never a bad thing to be the most beautiful home in the neighborhood! Let Sunrise create the curb appeal of your dreams – contact us today to start laying out your landscaping plan!
Sunrise Landscape and Design is Northern Virginia’s premier landscaping company offering a full range of landscaping services. Our landscape and design services include hardscapes, water features, irrigation and landscape lighting. Our property maintenance services will keep your landscape vibrant and healthy year round with mulching, edging, garden cleanups, lawn mowing, tree pruning and mosquito/deer control. Contact us today for all your landscape and lawn care needs!