Now is the best time of year to establish a healthy turf! With the cooler night temperatures and more moisture the time is right for growing cool season turf.
There are a few things for you to remember in creating a healthy turf.
1) First is to test your soil. Review past article about establishing a healthy turf with soil testing.
2) Choose a blend of quality seed. See VA recommendation of quality seed. I recommend a blend of 3 turf type tall fescues with 5-10% bluegrass.
3) When overseeding one of the most critical thing in the success of germination is seed to soil contact. Essentially it means getting the seed in good contact with the soil actually mixing it into the soil in some way. Aeration, slitseeding, spiking or topdressing are some good ways to get this seed to soil contact that is so critical.
4) After the seed has been spread into the soil the next critical element is moisture. Providing adequate water to the seed while it is down is also critical to it’s success. Seed should be watered daily and as it emerges it is important to continue to water daily for the first few weeks and then keep the soil moist to allow for the success of the growth.
5) Nutrition (fertilization) is the final element in keeping a healthy lawn. Fertilization should be done to maintain proper nutrition of the turf so it can grown for years to come.
If you want to have any success in establishing a lawn from seed it would ideally be done within the next 2 weeks. Once the last week in October comes it is usually to cool for the seed germination to be as effective.
If you have any further questions feel free to contact us 703-544-0028.
Contact Sunrise Landscape and Design, Northern Virginia’s premier landscaping company for all your lawn maintenance needs. We are a full service landscape contractor serving Northern Virginia’s Fairfax County and Loudoun County. Whether you need landscape design with water features, landscape lighting, walkways and patios or lawn maintenance services such as lawn mowing, mulching turf care, leaf clean-up or garden clean-up we work with you to make your landscape beautiful.